Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2019 00:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, D Scott Phillips <d.scott.phillips@intel.com>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating uefi-edk2-bhyve

> On 3/29/19 9:29 PM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > That, iirc, would be the  SMBIOS version of ed2k, which yes should
> > be updated if infact the newer ed2k has a new SBIOS implementation,
> > if it is still 1.00 implementaton then this needs to be left
> > alone.
>

> Under OVMF "smbiosview -t 0" shows:

I do not know what the above is, could you elaborate for me?
What is OVMF and what is its relation to bhyve?

> Vendor: EFI Development Kit II / OVMF
>
> BiosVersion: 0.0.0
>
> BiosReleaseDate: 02/06/2015
>

> Whereas, we have:
>

> Vendor: BHYVE
>
> BiosVersion: 1.00
>
> BiosReleaseDate: 03/14/2014

I have to assume this is with ed2k loaded, but I do not
know you are showing me the SMBIOS string value or some
other bios version value.  THere are compliance levels
associated with SMBIOS.

The SMBIOS versions must match what it is that is implemented,
and infact I have pending code in review that specifically
implements features as SMBIOS version 1.0, though I would
rather be implementing this in the newer SMBIOS spec (at least
2. something and preferable 3.2, but as discsussed in email
with jgb that would require a complete audit and upgrade of
our current code to be at that spec level, a none trivial,
but worthwhile effort I defered for later.