Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2019 04:46:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 20:02:28 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Sometimes after I kill the xinit processes I see the following message:
>
> (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
>
> I presume that something is preventing the vt switching from happening.

THat's probably the same thing that makes vt an inappropriate
replacement for sc. ;-)

Have you tried disabling AIGLX? In a partial configuration file
in X's configuration directory, /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/,
you could try this:

	Section "ServerFlags"
		Option	"DontVTSwitch"	"false"
		Option	"AIGLX"		"false"
	EndSection

Check for any missing functionality within X.

> If vt switching crashes some X client, I'm
> fine with it.

Well, I don't think some of the most fundamental things (at
least problem-less standard behaviour for decades with sc)
should randomly crash X clients, but that's probably the
price to pay if you want to run X today...

> It is also remarkable that now I cannot kill the Xserver with
> Control+Alt+Backspace any more. How can I regain this possibility?

There seem to be several ways, and you need to experiment
to find out which one works for you. A partial configuration
file for your input device, for example:

	Section "InputDevice"
		Option	"XkbOptions"	"terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
	EndSection

Another one for the server layout:

	Section "ServerLayout"
		Option	"DontZap"	"false"
	EndSection

And if you're using MATE, you're probably also using the dreaded
combination of HAL and Dbus, things long forgotten in Linux land,
but still required and present on many FreeBSD X desktop solutions.
So here's something for /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-input.fdi:

	<deviceinfo version="0.2">
	  <device>
	    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
	      <merge key="input.x11_options.XkbOptions"
                     type="string">terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp</merge>
	    </match>
	  </device>
	</deviceinfo>

This seems to require the "DontZap" option mentioned earlier.

Or a command for your X initialization file:

	setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp

I have given up on using the console mode. Even if you can return
to it, the screen might appear in a font only suited for ants. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany