Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2019 04:32:09 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@allbsd.org>
To:        woodsb02@gmail.com
Cc:        hrs@freebsd.org, brooks@freebsd.org, julian@freebsd.org, driesm.michiels@gmail.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, roy@marples.name
Subject:   Re: DHCPv6 client in base

----Security_Multipart(Mon_Oct_14_04_32_09_2019_895)--

Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote
  in <CAOc73CBzvRD0Je5+XQJ9_UqTP2_cgJvc7_7JTU0fjKBCVnTt-w@mail.gmail.com>:

wo> On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 08:32, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com> wrote:
wo> As promised, I have completed my initial work to import dhcpcd into FreeBSD
wo> base, and it is ready for review, testing and comment at the link below.
wo> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D22012
wo>
wo> As per the comment from brooks@, I have opted to have it installed in
wo> parallel with dhclient (which remains the default).

 How do you want to proceed the discussion?  I sent my view and made
 myself clear that importing dhcpcd into the base system as-is is not
 a good idea.  What is your answer to my concerns?  I also agree with
 Brooks about a need for sandboxing before the import if it will
 happen.  Do you have any plan to add changes to the imported dhcpcd?

 And, I think there is common mistake about how to invoke dhcpcd in
 D22012.  DHCPv6 client should be invoke upon RA with O-flag received,
 not invoked independently or by devd(8) upon a link-up event.  I do
 not want people to configure ifconfig_IF_ipv6="DHCP".  What people
 should be aware is if they want to allow receving RA.  Whether DHCPv6
 is required or not should be controlled by RA, not configuration on
 the host side. Also, DHCP-PD shuold be handled in rc.d script
 framework in some way.  Doing something similar to IPv4 DHCP client
 is not enough, and having both rtsold and dhcpcd is just confusing.

 I want to continue discussion about what is the best or better
 direction instead of going ahead with D22012.

-- Hiroki