Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2019 22:24:15 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pinebook Pro, any progress as of yet ?

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 00:11:19 +0100
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 00:06:04 +0100
> S=F8ren Schmidt <soren.schmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > > On 30 Dec 2019, at 23.49, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> wrot=
e:
> > >=20
> > > On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 21:18:14 +0100
> > > S=F8ren Schmidt <soren.schmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >=20
hought I?d better ask here how much if any support we have allready ?
> > >=20
> > > I received mine today too.
> > >=20
s the rudimentary support is there.
> > >=20
> > > No, it's not a rockpro64 in a laptop enclosure.
> >=20
> > Ahh, what I meant was that it uses same CPU etc as the rockpro64, so I =
assumed (wrongly ?) that they are at least somewhat similar.
>=20
>  Sure it's similar but still not the same.
>=20
> > >=20
in, has anyone else gotten this cutie to boot ?
> > >=20
> > > What image are you refering too ? What do you mean by "it does not
> > > like" ?
> >=20
> > I just tried the latest current image "FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch=
64-20191226-r356085-memstick.img", and it just seems to hang without any ou=
tput to the console, but alas if it needs a new u-boot/dts that?s to be exp=
ected.
>=20
>  And you put this image on what ? an sdcard ? Yes that needs u-boot.
>=20
> > I also grapped a pinebookpro.dts from some site I forgot, they look mor=
e or less identical.
> >=20
> > > I've been able to boot to multiuser using mainline u-boot + mainline
> > > atf with this patch for u-boot :
> > > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1194525/
> >=20
> > Hmm, OK, going to look into that one, does that still boot the ahem, li=
nux its born with ?
>=20
>  No idea and I don't care about the linux present on the eMMC, it was
> deleted from it 10 min after I've received the unit.
>=20
> > > I have some weird issue on the console like weird char are drawn from
> > > time to time (looks like it's when there is a lot of output from the
> > > console). It's a bit better with an FTDI adapter compared to the
> > > Prolific one that is in the Pine64 Uart<->Jack Adapter.
> >=20
> > Yeah, getting 1500000 baud is a pain, I had to try several picks from t=
he bunch of cheap Chinese adapters here as well, settled on a FT232 clone t=
hat seems to work.
>=20
>  1.5Mbps works great on the rock64 and rockpro64, which is why I still
> don't know what's happening.
>=20
> > > USB Doesn't work. The right port gives some USB_ERR_IOERROR, don't
> > > know the cause yet. The left port is tried to the dwc3 controller but
> > > in OTG mode and we don't support that. The USB-C port is also not
> > > supported for now.
> > > Both the SDCard and eMMC seems to work correctly.
> >=20
> > OK; I?l get at build evn setup here so I can play with it, lets see how=
 far I get then.
> >=20
> > >=20
> > > There is, of course, no video support for now.
> >=20
> > Endeed, that would be one of the really nice things to get working.
> >=20
> > Anyhow its actually a nice piece of kit, amazing what you can get for 2=
00$ nowadays.
> >=20
> > -S=F8ren

 I know have something that can be booted correctly and with usb.
 U-Boot is the same but I've switched the uart baudrate to 115200 as
it's way too noisy at 1.5Mbps for me
(https://people.freebsd.org/~manu/pbp_uart.jpeg vs
https://people.freebsd.org/~manu/rockpro_uart.jpeg). I'll push the
patches somewhere at one point, in the meantime people can use a
precompiled version from https://people.freebsd.org/~manu/pinebookpro/
 Refer to the readme from the u-boot-rockpro64 port to install it.

 I've also pushed some commit there
https://github.com/evadot/freebsd/tree/pinebookpro
 This have the dts needed for booting (based on the dts included in
u-boot with some fixes to it).
 And also some fixes to the regulator framework and PMIC driver that I
will put up to review soon.

--=20
Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>