Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2020 20:58:21 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Kirill Ponomarev <kp@krion.cc>
Subject:   Re: Why is not llvm-config executable included?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 07:35:29PM +0100, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I try to build postgresql with llvm from base in 13.0-CURRENT, but although it seems to me that llvm is indeed included in base, the executable `llvm-config` is not. PostgreSQL's build process expects to be able to use this to configure itself when building with llvm.
>
> Any ideas how to deal with this, apart from installing devel/llbm90 which seems a bit bonkers?

If you need llvm you must install it from ports.  The fact that /usr/bin/cc
is clang with llvm behind it is somewhat accidental.

One of the reason why llvm in base should not be used as llvm infrastructure
is because llvm API and ABI is not stable across llvm releases, and exposing
that would make compiler updates in stable impossible due to the stable
branches guarantee of ABI stability.

Another reason is that we generally do not want to make base depended on
specific on llvm or any other compiler' internals.  It should stay as
(reasonably portable) C+gnu ext project.