Date:      Sat, 2 May 2020 18:53:18 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind 9.16 port error still lingers

## The Doctor via freebsd-ports (freebsd-ports@freebsd.org):

> > > Subject: Bind 9.16 port error still lingers
> >
> > "Still"?

You seemed to imply that there was a known problem in our bind port.
While I doubt the existence of a problem with this severity (at least
my and other people's bind instances are happily serving away), a pointer
to that previous description could still be quite helpful.

> > > May  1 21:29:02 gallifrey named[90441]: parser.c:950: REQUIRE(obj != ((void *)0) && obj->type->rep == &cfg_rep_uint32) failed, back trace
> >
> > Some (configuration) value should be an integer, but isn't.

Have you checked your configuration for that type of problem?
Even a simple named-checkconf could go a long way here.

> and ls -Fail /var/run/named.pid
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6 May 1 21:38 /var/run/named.pid

And that's still not the default location, and again the pid file was
created via the workaround code - else that file would have been written
as user "bind" - which only works at the default location, which is why
we have that default location.

Your configuration differs from the default configuration in more than
"local addresses and zones", but you have given neither details nor
rationale on your changes - all we have is some deductions from error
messages. That might make for a good detective story, but does not
really expedite technical analysis.

Regards,
Christoph

--