Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 2020 09:37:05 +0200
From:      Jan Behrens <jbe-mlist@magnetkern.de>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB reset fails when using a LimeSDR Mini on FreeBSD

Dear all,

I doubt that it is a coincidence that the LimeSDR Mini had the same
problem with macOS's libusb, but I may be wrong. For macOS the problem
has been solved, for FreeBSD it hasn't.

I am confused what libusb_reset_device() does, but whether I'm having
root privileges or not, I doubt it should return an error for a device which runs well under Linux and/or macOS.

On the discussion forum on myriadrf.org, the question was rised if
there are any special considerations to take when using FreeBSD's
libusb. I would like to repeat that question here:

1. Are there (intended or accidental/unwanted) API and/or behaviour
differences between Linux/macOS's libusb. Are there certain
considerations when building apps that use libusb? Is it wrong to call
libusb_reset_device() in a driver? If yes, why? If no, what is the
function used for?

See also:
https://discourse.myriadrf.org/t/limesdr-mini-with-freebsd/6230/2

I also would like to ask:

2. Does the bugfix below, which seemed to fix issues with LimeSDR on
macOS, relate to a bug that is existent in FreeBSD's libusb as well? Is
it just a coincidence and two unrelated issues? Or is there a problem
with libusb that has been fixed for macOS but not for FreeBSD?

https://github.com/libusb/libusb/commit/a0b5d27fa7f2bba11965e2b70533f925a5772808

See quoted message below for more links regarding this issue.

Any help would appreciated. I understand far too little about libusb to
solve the problem on my own. It would be really nice if either the Lime
Suite or the libusb could be modified such that the LimeSDR Mini, which
is an awesome radio device, works properly on FreeBSD (and I'm not
forced to use Linux or Windows for it).

Regards,
Jan Behrens