Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 2020 22:11:00 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
Cc:        pkg@freebsd.org, dev@hardenedbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem extended attributes support

--ythx3b2ijyq52wix

On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 10:13:45AM -0400, Shawn Webb wrote:
> Hey FreeBSD pkg(8) developers,
>=20
> Attached is a patch that implements filesystem extended attributes
> support. Only the system namespace is supported. In case the patch
> gets scrubbed from this email, I've posted it here:
> https://gist.github.com/d0b4653bc5942dbcdcd1db877d37c2dc
>=20
> Anyone who wants to write unit tests is welcomed to do so.
>=20
> This patch to pkg does depend on a separate patch to libarchive:
> https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/pull/1409
>=20
> HardenedBSD has a separate patch to tmpfs that enables incredibly
> basic extended attribute support. The tmpfs patch is only needed for
> those who use tmpfs with poudriere.
>=20
> And finally, another patch to the jails subsystem that allows a
> privileged user within a jail to set system namespace filesystem
> extended attributes (disabled by default) is needed for poudriere
> users.
>=20
> The patch to tmpfs and jails is not included here as they are
> tangential.

Thank you for the patch at quick glance it looks fine to me. I would have
obviously to wait for libarchive to merge the patch first to be able to tes=
t it
and do a proper review at the time.

Don't hesitate to ping me again if you see no progress with libarchive has
merged the said patch.

I would have to rework it a bit probably:
- Add a configure detection of the fact libarchive does or not have the
  necessary support
- Add regression tests to ensure I don't break this in the future.
- Maybe add an option to enable/disable it via pkg.conf (not sure yet about
that ;))

Best regards,
Bapt

--ythx3b2ijyq52wix