Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 2020 17:40:25 +0200
From:      Felix Palmen <felix@palmen-it.de>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve, Windows guest and trim support

--dzbu4rwczftwyi3v

* Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> [20200707 10:51]:
> I added support for bhyve to understand virtio-blk TRIM messages to
> FreeBSD 13 back in April, r360229

Awesome, thanks, I was looking for this as well. The changeset applies
almost cleanly to 12.1, only problem are some debug printing macros.

As I don't have background knowledge how TRIM works exactly: Should
guests that support it automatically free unused space when running on
the updated bhyve? Or would I have to do a "clean restart", by creating
a new zvol and copying everything over in the guest?

> There is a separate patch to teach the FreeBSD virtio-blk driver to send
> TRIM commands, it is still in review (needs testing on hypervisors other
> than bhyve):
>=20
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D21708

Will need this as well, especially for my ports test-builder VM, as it
creates tons of "temporary" data. So, this is already safe to use for a
bhyve guest? Or would it make sense to wait for it hitting head?

--=20
 Dipl.-Inform. Felix Palmen  <felix@palmen-it.de>   ,.//..........
 {web}  http://palmen-it.de  {jabber} [see email]   ,//palmen-it.de
 {pgp public key}     http://palmen-it.de/pub.txt   //   """""""""""
 {pgp fingerprint} A891 3D55 5F2E 3A74 3965 B997 3EF2 8B0A BC02 DA2A

--dzbu4rwczftwyi3v

--dzbu4rwczftwyi3v--