Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 2020 09:40:09 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        Ruben via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /bin/sh is what? Can I set tab autocompletion for that sh?

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 09:28:27 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I’m wondering whether I can set /bin/sh to autocomplete commands.

The regular sh shell (which is the Almquist shell) does not
have that feature. As it is primarily intended for scripting,
and used interactively only in emergency cases (and even there
often only to start csh or bash), command completition has
probably never been considered for implementation.

If you want this feature, just use csh, bash, zsh, ksh, fish,
depending on your individual shell preference.

See "man 1 sh" and "man 5 editrc" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany