Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 2020 15:36:25 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   arc4random initialization

When I'm running FreeBSD on what amounts to a live DVD (no writable
filesystems), I get this message:

  arc4random: no preloaded entropy cache

I went looking in the source for this message and near enough to the
message source found this troubling comment in sys/libkern/arc4random.c:

     /*
      * This is making the best of what may be an insecure
      * Situation. If the loader(8) did not have an entropy
      * stash from the previous shutdown to load, then we will
      * be improperly seeded. The answer is to make sure there
      * is an entropy stash at shutdown time.
      */

So security-wise, just how bad is it to be improperly seeded? If I cannot get
a valid entropy stash at boot time, can I delay the need for it until I can get
a writable filesystem up and running?

Thanks in advance for any cogent replies.
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave@dream-tech.com

The person who first said "There is no smoke without fire"
may have been describing the state of the technology at
the time it was said, not enunciating a truth.