Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 2020 14:07:01 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Build for Intel iXP420 board?

Hello!

I recently disassembled some radio equipment which the FCC will no
longer to allow me to use (they auctioned the frequencies that it
used to run on out from under me and other wireless ISPs) and
discovered some ARM boards inside that I would like to reuse for
other embedded applications. They are "Avila" boards, made by
Gateworks, and appear to follow the Intel evaluation/reference
board design for the iXP420. A couple of them have only 4 MB of
available flash, but some have 8 MB.

I've found an old port for these boards; it's described at

https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/gateworks/gateworks_avilagw2348-2

and seems to boot. But OpenWRT is weird and awkward, and worst of
all, it's Linux! I would prefer to be running one of the BSDs on these.

I've discovered that the boot ROM is Redboot, which means that I
can TFTP and flash a properly formatted image if one exists. Is
there an ARM build of FreeBSD that's likely to work on this style of board?

--Brett Glass