Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2021 07:05:29 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Kurt Hackenberg <kh@panix.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw syntax clarification

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 22:32:20 -0800
Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> wrote:

> Actual location of IP addresses
> is something known to the CDNs (Akamai, Cloudflare, AWS, etc.) and is
> somewhat proprietary.

	Even they only guess based on what they can find out about who
controls which block, and yes they're careful with anything they have that
isn't public because they sell use of it. All geo-ip databases will get my
home static IP in the right country (courtesy of RIPE) but most have the
wrong county let alone city, one or two will put me in the nearest city
(about half an hour drive away) revealing fairly detailed knowledge of my
ISPs network infrastructure.

	In regions near national borders it is very common for the IPs to
be recorded in the wrong country because fundamentally IP addresses follow
network boundaries not geographic ones.

	My ISP has the exact address but it takes a human being looking at
two separate screens (billing and provisioning) to put them together. I've
been on the end of a support call when someone did just that to verify that
I still had the static IP after a change. GDPR prevents them from passing
on that level of detail or doing anything with it other than routing
packets down the right bit of fibre.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>