Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2022 08:19:08 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for making private packages?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:58:05 -0700
"Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com> wrote:

> We are considering using FreeBSD to deploy the proprietary software we
> build.
>
> I am interested in using the package system to build and distribute the
> software to our servers. I believe this will help us maintain
> consistency and cleanliness.
>
> Right now I have a few ideas of how to do this:
>
> 1. Fork the ports tree, and add a directory for our software. Build as
> usual.

	In a software development environment this is the way to go, you
get flexibility and control along with standardisation and familiar tools
that are easy to integrate with anything else you choose to use. I've used
this approach with great success.

> 2. Use portshaker to overlay our software onto the ports tree.

	This is a powerful ports tree mix and match system that's overkill
for what you seem to want and well stocked with foot shooting
opportunities. I'd reserve it for jobs nothing else will handle.

> 3. Use pkg-create directly.

	Masochism IMHO, goferit if you enjoy it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>