Date:      Sat, 21 May 2022 20:23:25 -0300
From:      "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rodrigo =?utf-8?B?Ry4gTMOzcGV6?= <rodrigosloop@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-translators@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Parentheses and final stops

--e76dzyvpbvmqtb3y

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 09:14:45PM +0200, Rodrigo G. L=F3pez wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> I was wondering about the convention regarding
> final stops that are part of a parenthesized sentence.
> I'm inclined to follow Strunk's "put it before the
> closing parenthesis", but the Weblate editor
> complains about a "Mismatched final stop".
>=20
> What should I do?

Hi Rodrigo.

Weblate has plenty of Quality checks [1], and 'Mismatched full stop' [2]
is one.
It always tries to match translations with the source string. Depending
on the language, it's not always right, and sometimes you can ignore the
alert.

When translating, I recommend you follow the structure same as the
source string, unless when it doesn't make sense in your language.

And for all improvements/fixes you may find for the source string, one
advice is to save it for later (after translating the document, chapter,
etc.) and then submit everything you found together. And then, after
committing your patch, fix the translation because Weblate will mark
strings changed for review.

Submitting improvements/fixes to the original documents is a fun part of
translations. =3D)

Regards.

1 - https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/user/checks.html#quality-checks
2 - https://docs.weblate.org/en/latest/user/checks.html#mismatched-full-stop