Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:25:54 +0200
From:      Felix Palmen <felix@palmen-it.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ARCH restriction for port of closed-source Linux software, looking for opinions

--dvgmv7ois7kmxed3

Case in question is, once again, multimedia/makemkv.

For a long time, the distfiles contained binaries of the closed-source
part for amd64 and i386 only, so naturally, the port had

ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=3D		amd64 i386

Now, upstream started adding binaries for armv7 and aarch64. From these,
Linuxulator is only available on aarch64. Therefore the variable now
looks like this:

ONLY_FOR_ARCHS=3D		aarch64 amd64 i386

This is, of course, exactly the default that USES=3Dlinux would set
anyways. Now I'm unsure whether I should just drop it and go with the
default?

Pro: It's actually the availability of Linuxulator that results in the
narrowest restriction now.

Con: The upstream software *is* restricted regarding ARCHs and maybe
this should stay being reflected.

What would you think is the better way to go?

Cheers, Felix

--=20
 Dipl.-Inform. Felix Palmen  <felix@palmen-it.de>   ,.//..........
 {web}  http://palmen-it.de  {jabber} [see email]   ,//palmen-it.de
 {pgp public key}     http://palmen-it.de/pub.txt   //   """""""""""
 {pgp fingerprint} A891 3D55 5F2E 3A74 3965 B997 3EF2 8B0A BC02 DA2A

--dvgmv7ois7kmxed3

--dvgmv7ois7kmxed3--