Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2024 18:35:39 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@iitbombay.org>, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, yuri@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: git repo port issues?

On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 23:32:27 +0000
Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 03:09:15PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > On Jan 3, 2024, at 11:22???AM, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Nothing about dates is centralized in git, but some server side checks
> > > could be implemented on CommitDate.  IMO we should require that
> > > CommitDate be >= the previous one and less than "now".
> >
> > Given that git commit objects form a DAG, I don't see how you can
> > impose linearity.
>
> Check each commit in a push to ensure that its CommitDate is newer than
> its first parent's CommitDate (you could check them all, but as a
> project we're mostly linear).  Seems like a pretty trivial property to
> enforce.
>
> -- Brooks

Or create database (key-value store would be sufficient) storing commit
order (like r* of svn) and commit hash.
I'm still not certain whether commit order or commit hash should be the
"key". Possibly store hash as the key fisrt and store assigned MONOTONIC
order as value, then, add the just-stored order as key and hash as
value in another database would be neeed. If the database can contain 2
value for 1 key, it would be suitable for you to store the assigned
time in UTC as "when it is committed to FreeBSD master repo".

Just a thought.

Regards.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>