Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2024 18:50:44 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Close OpenSSH hole on 13.1-RELEASE server without shutting down?

Hello!

We have a server running FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE (curent patch level:
p5) in a remote location. It's running well, and uses a custom
statically linked kernel with no loadable modules to conserve
memory and allow better security.

We just found out about the latest OpenSSH bug, and want to patch.
Unfortunately, the freebsd-update utility isn't updating it,
because it is JUST ONE POINT VERSION beyond the earliest one for
which the Security Team has provided updates. And we can't shut the
server down to do a major upgrade right now. (Upgrades to systems
using custom kernels are especially dicey and frequently result in
lockouts, which in this case would not only interrupt important
activities but require a 50 mile drive.)

Any ideas as to how to JUST upgrade OpenSSH? I've looked at
installing the openssh-portable binary package, but when I start
the process by doing a "pkg update" I get a warning message
indicating OS mismatches for lots of packages. The error messages
all include the line

To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes

(which I assume means to start sh, set that environment variable in
the shell, and then run the command). Is this safe?

--Brett Glass