Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2000 22:09:43 -0700
From:      Craig Milo Rogers <Rogers@ISI.EDU>
To:        java-port@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Undefined Symbol: xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass

	Using jdk1.1.8 (09-Nov-1999) on FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, I get the
following error when I attempt to run my Java program:

java edu.isi.activate.ua.mgmt.applet.CheckTopology bro.isi.edu
/auto/boreas/jade/rogers/freebsd/jdk1.1.8/lib/i386/green_threads/libawt.so: Undefined symbol "xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass" (libawt.so)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no awt in shared library path
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary(Runtime.java)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java)
        at
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:399)
        at java.awt.Font.initializeFont(Font.java:106)
        at java.awt.Font.<init>(Font.java:121)
        at edu.isi.activate.ua.mgmt.applet.CheckTopology.buildCanvas(CheckTopology.java:241)
        at edu.isi.activate.ua.mgmt.applet.CheckTopology.setup(CheckTopology.java:124)
        at edu.isi.activate.ua.mgmt.applet.CheckTopology.<init>(CheckTopology.java:117)
        at edu.isi.activate.ua.mgmt.applet.CheckTopology.main(CheckTopology.java:531)

	I've searched high and low, and I cannot come up with a
library that provides this global symbol (xmDrawingAreaWidgetClass).
With the "xm" prefix, I wonder if it's related to Motif?  I also
received this same error with an earlier copy of jdk1.1.18
(20-Jul-1999?) for FreeBSD.

	Minor gripes:

1)	There are (at least) two versions of jdk1.1.8 for FreeBSD.  I
	haven't located a FreeBSD-specific releas number, so I used the
	date on the files inside the tar image to identify the version
	I'm running.

2)	README.FreeBSD says to report bugs to <java-port@FreeBSD.org>.
	"http://www.freebsd.org/java/howhelp.html#BUG" says to report
	bugs to <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>.  Not knowing which was more
	current, I've addressed this report to both addresses.  My apologies
	to anyone receiving two copies.

	Thanks very much.

					Craig Milo Rogers