Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:03:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      kiguchi@excite.com
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL and PPPoE question

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:20:55 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

>  kiguchi@excite.com wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm very sorry if this is a stupid question.
>  >
>  > In our company, we want to set up a small network of about 20 PCs.
ADSL
>  > seems like a good inexpensive solution, and I understand that FreeBSD
with
>  > Netgraph can act like a gateway for our computers.
>
>  are they in different places?

No - the same place.

>  Negraph/ppp can act as a gateway for pppoe connections but I am not sure
>  how that helps you. How do you get the ADSL sessions to terminate on
>  an ethernet in your office?
>  (does your ISP provide that service?)
>
>  >
>  > What I don't understand is whether we will have to use IP aliasing
(NAT) or
>  > we can have our own routable IP range.
>
>  That very much depends on what you think the topology looks like.?

I thought something like this:

           [ISP]

-----------------
Office     [ADSL]

        [FreeBSD Box]
          |  |  |  |
          |  |  |  |
         [A][B][C][D]

where A, B, C, D all have their own routable IPs.   So according to what you
said, FreeBSD would need to establish a separate PPPoE session for each of
the computers A, B, C and D, provided the ISP supports multiple PPPoE
sessions over the single ADSL line?

I need to know if this configuration is possible, so I will know what to ask
the ISP sales and support people.  So far they haven't been very helpful.

Thank you very much for your reply

Takashi

>  > Since ADSL is a Point-to-point link
>  > over Ethernet, does the protocol / one ADSL line support more than one
IP,