Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:40:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stuck! 2.2 Gamma won't go.

> If I follow those directions, :-), it indeed works ok.

Good to know. :)

> But, when I instinctively reached for the mouse and
> moved it, it totally hosed me down.  I consider this
> broken.  After all, hadn't I just finished telling it
> what kind of mouse I have?  Not only that, but it puts

I'm sure it is broken, and I'm sure it's the PS/2 mouse driver
breaking you.  Trying to read from it as a serial mouse (which X will
try to do initially through the /dev/mouse symlink when you've got it
set wrong) probably confuses the spit out of the PS/2 driver and this
results in your particular system's keyboard going away (though
probably not with all systems or we'd have no doubt heard about this
before now).

Perhaps you could post details of this system's configuration
(make & manufacturer) to -hackers and see if the 2 or 3 folk
who deal with PS/2 mice can give you some clues as to what
to do in debugging this so that they can make the PS/2 mouse
driver less pathologically behaved on your equipment.

The fact that the PS/2 mouse driver is pathological just in general is
already known, and why do you think it's disabled by default? ;-)
Unfortunately, fixing it just takes as long as it takes with
volunteers working on it.

In any case, there has been recent interest in improving this driver
and the perpetrators hang out in -hackers, so you might do as I
suggested above and see what happens. ;)

Thanks!

						Jordan