Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 11:53:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>, freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

> and market power.  And don't make the case that that is IBM's fault totally,
> when M$ closed off the API's for Win 32.  Everything they produce is
> proprietary.  Yet you wish to lament your lack of freedom.  Sorry Jordan, as
> much as I admire what you and the FreeBSD team are doing and stand for, you
> can't have you bread buttered on both sides.  Eventually you number turns up
> on the hit list.

Wait a second, since when have I been lamenting that Microsoft was
infringing my freedoms?  I also rather strenuously object to your
accusation that I'm wanting my "bread buttered on both sides" since
that's specifically the mindset I've been arguing AGAINST for the last
4 rounds here or so.  Either you have misunderstood me rather
drastically or aren't actually reading what I've been saying with
anything approaching the proper care.

To put it another way, I don't really _care_ whether my number comes
up on any "Microsoft hit list" since I've been operating under the
continual assumption that such a thing would happen anyway, either
directly or indirectly as the result of some larger campaign on their
part.  All I want is the freedom to fight my own battles, however
doomed or outnumbered my side may be, and any help from the government
is help that I don't need AT ALL thank you very much!  The government
already has enough guns pointed at my head without me giving them
another one to "protect" me with.

FWIW, I don't believe in anti-trust laws either.  If it's in mankind's
nature to create and support robber barons in their pillaging then
mankind deserves whatever it gets, period.  This whole legal system
for regulating our own worst impulses has always struck me as
equivalent to hitting oneself repeatedly with a hammer and then
pointing to the first-aid kit every time someone comes up and asks you
what you're doing about this weird compulsion you have to harm
yourself.  It's not solving the fundamental problem and it's not going
to get any closer to solving the fundamental problem as you make it
more and more complex and intrusive.  Maybe that makes me an
Anarchist.  I don't really mind. :-)

- Jordan