Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 1996 03:10:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

> The forced visual config on install is a horrible thing.  Forced config is a

I think this will be a matter of opinion, and you may rest assured that
I won't do anything to change it until I've collected a reasonable amount
of feedback on it.  If it's predominantly negative, then I'll certianly
nuke it.

Another thing that occurred to me about an hour after I released the
boot floppy was that detecting "Q" or "ESC" as special values for the
"any" key in intro and assume an immediate quit would probably be a
good idea.  Would that make you any happier?

For the rest of the users who just aren't RTFM'ing and setting their
hardware up properly (sending a message to us which then gets 5
replies all saying "Boot -c!"), I think this feature is just plain
mandatory.  It's not like I set your on-disk kernel up like this
either, it only happens once.  You must have a very low capacity for
tedium. :-)

> The installation process froze my keyboard (Flipping between alt-f1 alt-f2)
> about half way through the install, after it completed it popped my back to t
he
> main console and unlocked the keyboard.

Hmm, sounds like one for Soren.

> The install refused to update my /etc/ files because a piece of the
> installation failed.   That doesnt really make a whole lot of since, especial
ly
> as the piece that failed was compat21.  There was nothing I could figure out

Yeah, I changed the policy on touching /etc to be a bit more paranoid,
and it looks like I'm checking more failure cases than I should be.
I'll fix it, thanks.

					Jordan