Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:57:34 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> Why is it that every time somebody suggests making a script or GUI utility
> to automate some boring but necessary UNIX process, all you guys who went
> to school with Dennis Richie pop out and start complaining about how the
> GUI is the greatest affront to computer science since the invention of the
> transistor?  Nobody's going to be any worse off if we *add* some new ways

What else would there be to do at 3am? :-)

Seriously, I can certainly see how it might feel that way, but I think
that if you honestly look at the situation you'll find that even the
most vocal "punched cards were good enough in my day" types wouldn't
actually mind it if somebody released a purely optional curses based
kernel configurator (optional so they don't have to use it themselves)
or something.

What they mostly get tired of is simply the implication that one of
them should go write such a thing, since the people who are usually
the most likely to ask for features like this are also the least
likely to be able to actually do the work themselves, resulting in yet
another one of those "it sure would be nice if FreeBSD ..." postings
which really translate to "it sure would be nice if *somebody else*
would implement the following for FreeBSD" :-)

I'm sure that if more of these suggestions started being accompanied
by actual working code, they'd meet with a much different reception.
I heard from one guy who was working on something called "kconfig",
but at last update it had bogged down at the most critical stage, that
being the part where all the kernel configuration options are
presented in menu form.  The copy I reviewed did everything *but* that
rather important bit. :-)

> I swear, you all are going to drive me to learn C.

Hope so - maybe you'll then be the one to implement all this shit! :-)

					Jordan