Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:49:29 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        Dan Mack <mack@macktronics.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg content lifetime

On 22 Nov 2022, at 9:34, Dan Mack wrote:

> It disappears a piece at a time - the oldest entries disappear first. H=
owever, it vanishes even when there are only 2-3 lines in it so I didn't =
think capacity was in play as I expected.

> So for example I might see a rate-limit entry from someone spamming the=
 system and then it will usually be gone in a couple days and the buffer =
is completely empty.   Similarly if I do something like ifconfig em0 down=
; ifconfig em0 up ; it's logged but disappears after a day or so.

> I'm looking to see if this is just a cron job or something clearing it =
as it might be user-error on my part.   Also this is an older system so I=
'll probably look at it again after I update.

I noticed this too, but discovered with =E2=80=9Cdmesg -a=E2=80=9D that t=
he buffer was full
of syslog messages, so dmesg without -a showed nothing.

It seems unfortunate that syslog messages logged in the message buffer, a=
least once syslogd is running.  Apparently this happens because they are
output to /dev/console.

		Mike