Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:38:06 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, james@jraynard.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

"Hr.Ladavac" wrote in message ID
<199606101412.AA062675927@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>:
> Well, all I've seen is what I've seen in the manpage and sources.  I did
> not actually test it, but I think one needs the ability to add more than
> /p/ip and /p/unix (whatever they are named.)  I'd like to use it as a
> clone of Atria MVFS and ClearAudit.  Naturally, my portal daemon will have
> to do that, somehow.

MVFS? Sorry, not familiar with that.

My /etc/portal.conf has:

tcplisten/	tcplisten tcplisten/
tcp/		tcp tcp/
fs/		file fs/
pipe/		pipe
foo/		exec ./bar bar baz

the first 3 are known to work (at least, they USED to when I was
testing/developing portals), the last 2 don't. (or at least the pipes
doesn't work, haven't been able to contrive a test for the exec
case). I'm not even 100% sure what the author was trying to do with
the ``pipe'' implimentation.

The IDEAL case would allow you to plug in your own modules to extend
the filesystem, but to do that without opening up MASSIVE security
holes would be ``interesting'' to say the least. As it is the ``exec''
case may be left unimplimented (if it isn't already) for that very
reason.

> Since I did not test it, do the portals work, and from which OS version
> onwards?

Portals have worked to a greater or lesser extent since (at least)
2.0.5-RELEASE, probably also (to a lesser extent) in
2.0-RELEASE. Nothing has changed in the portals system for a while now
as I haven't had the time of late (although I should try to get back
to it sometime, or help someone else who has the time)

> Shall we move there, then?

Done

Gary