Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:06:52 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Marmier?= <raphael@computer-rental.ch>
To:        "Jud" <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

Le Lundi, 8 sep 2003, =E0 22:01 Europe/Zurich, Jud a =E9crit :

--snip--
>  Once you've installed FreeBSD, if you
> can't boot back into Windows, use the Windows tools to restore the
> familiar Win MBR: for 9x, boot from the emergency floppy and run fdisk
> /mbr; for more recent versions, boot from CD into console repair mode=20=

> and
> run fixboot and fixmbr.

In my case, I think I could mount the windows partition only from=20
linux. I couldn't read it with a dos disk (same w98 se). So I thought=20
that it was some kind of incompatibility between the way FreeBSD/Linux=20=

and Windows recognized the drive's geometry. Installing freeBSD would=20
change something in subtil way in the partition table that would=20
confuse windows' boot loader. I did fdisk /mbr, sys c:, etc... to no=20
avail.
Finally, installing windows in second solved the issue. I never really=20=

understood what happened though.

I have to mention the windows partition was not the first primary=20
partition (well, ok, slice in BSDspeak).

Rapha=EBl=