Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:58:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <nrichard47@telus.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD along with Windows XP

Norm said:
> Dear Sir:
>
> I have a new P4 1.8GHz with 512 MB RDRAM and 60GB HDD which I have
> split int two drives (C,D).  I plan on using Drive C for Windows XP and
> Drive D for FreeBSD.
>
> 1) Can you tell me whether it is better to use NTFS file formatting or
> FAT32 for either or both drives? Pros and cons of using either file
> systems?

FreeBSD has it's own format called ufs.  This would be used on the D:
drive.  FreeBSD has support for reading FAT32 and NTFS (though the FAT32
support is more mature).  Alas, WinXP cannot read ufs.

> 2) I believe XP has MBR capability! (for multiple boot systems)  If
> that is so, can it be used successfully with FreeBSD and how is it
> activated?

Your choice really, both boot loaders work, although I do like the NT boot
loader a little better (which is what XP uses).

The answer on how is covered in the FAQ:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-
BOOTLOADER

> 3) From reading the material on your site, I understand that I can
> create my own bootable CD ROM, I tried with the BSD 4.4 folder but all
> I got was a copy of the files.  Is it the ISO 4.4 image file (Disc 1 &
> 2) that will create the CD Boot Disks?

Yes, it's the ISO for disc 1.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.4/4.4-
install.iso

Take a look at the README in that dir
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.4/README.TXT
to see if you need any of the other discs.

> 4)  Do I need to format the drive D before installing FreeBSD?

No, Freebsd does that for you.

> Any othe advice you have will be welcomed.

Not specifically, but I can recommend a good site for those new to FreeBSD,
www.freebsddiary.org.  Of course you should read the approriate pages in
the Handbook and FAQ, found @ www.freebsd.org, before installing.

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire