Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:42:07 +0100
From:      Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org>
To:        Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

--nextPart3074382.Ovca90QLe3
From: Olivier Certner <olce@freebsd.org>
To: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
Cc: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:42:07 +0100

Hi,

> I would not exactly call this a gimmick.

I wish I hadn't used that term since it attracts too much attention on itse=
lf, making people forget it was part of a sentence that was quite balanced =
and seemingly altering their judgement.

I think you're confusing the need and the mechanism (or implementation).  I=
n substance, we (Robert and I) were talking about turning "atime" off *by d=
efault*.  What I tried to convey is that the needs that justify this mechan=
ism are those of a minority in my view (and I'm certainly not opposed to be=
 educated if it's not true), and additionally that the "atime" mechanism ad=
dresses these needs poorly.

With that in mind, developing "relatime" to try to alleviate the shortcomin=
gs of "atime" has a low ROI: It doesn't add the crucial functionality most =
needs (like auditing) would require and doesn't even really address the I/O=
 shortcomings in some frequent scenarios.  Deactivating "atime", by contras=
t, doesn't require any development, suppresses all I/O overhead, and doesn'=
t suppress any functionality for an overwhelming majority of uses (at least=
, this is my current view; other inputs welcome).

I did not say that the needs themselves are a gimmick, e.g., having a notif=
ication of new mail (although, in this case, frankly, I'm on the verge of a=
rguing it).  Simply, relying on "atime" (or "relatime") for this is unneces=
sary, as you must have understood reading the various previous answers in t=
his thread.

> On Linux mount(8) from https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux says
>=20
>    relatime
>        Update inode access times relative to modify or change time. Access
>        time is only updated if the previous access time was earlier than
>        or equal to the current modify or change time. (Similar to noatime,
>        but it doesn=E2=80=99t break mutt(1) or other applications that ne=
ed to
>        know if a file has been read since the last time it was modified.)
>=20
> and this is what i use, except for some noatime mount points
> (/x/doc, /x/music, /x/pub, to be exact).

It seems that the other answers (mostly those of Robert IIRC) have shown th=
at this manpage text isn't up-to-date with current practices.

Which need(s) of yours are you trying to address exactly by using "relatime=
"?

Thanks and regards.

=2D-=20
Olivier Certner