Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:25:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, dwilde1@thuntek.net, wes@softweyr.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly article: Whence the Source: Untangling the Open Source/Free Software Debate

> Jordan, FreeBSD needs Brett, and as many people like Brett as possible.

As Brett and I have already discussed in person, there seems to be
room to draw very different conclusions from Guy's book than the one
you guys are drawing.

Where Mr. Kawasaki is referring to being "fanatical", I don't think
he's talking about Rottweiler fanaticism where any exposed flesh gets
a pair of fangs sunk into it, I think he's talking about hyping the
product in a highly enthusiastic way.

This is further born out by the kinds of press events I remember him
being involved with back in the 80's.  He didn't have people marching
up and down in front of Microsoft going "Windows sucks!  Bill is the
anti-christ!  Eat the rich!  Long live Fidel Castro!" - that might
have attracted a lot of press, but I don't think it was as effective
as the people he had marching up and down extolling the VIRTUES of the
Macintosh platform and how much easier it was to use.  That's the
point here - we're not Howard Stern and we're not going to make our
mark by attack-advertising or telling people they're misguided, wrong
and stupid for using the GPL.

I guess I have to repeat this like a broken record since people just
don't get it, it seems, but you win converts by explaining why you
chose the BSD license and BSD technology, not by calling the other
side a bunch of morons for making the choices they did.  Perhaps Brett
has never actually used the world "moron" in his various diatribes,
but judging by the "audience reaction" that's certainly what people
read between the lines and why I choose to take a much different
tack.  It's not anywhere near as easy to shoot down someone's arguments
or dismiss him as a crank if he's just telling you what's good about
his product vs what's bad about yours.

- Jordan