Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:59:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Stephan van Beerschoten" <stephanb@xs4all.nl>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fxp0: DYNAMIC STANDBY MODE ??

I hope someome can relate to this, I haven't found anything about this
subject I'm going to discuss now.

Yesterday I rebooted one of my remote systems with the up-to-date cvsup
level of that day. The reboot went fine. This was a hardware-maintenance
reboot too to check that everything is still working.
Like I said, the reboot was succesful. This morning I replaced my kernel
with a kernel that has IPFilter in stead of IPFW. This reboot went
flawlessly too. After this reboot I decided to check up some system boot
messages. Just to be on the safe side and then I saw the following:

/kernel: fxp0: *** DISABLING DYNAMIC STANDBY MODE IN EEPROM ***
/kernel: fxp0: New EEPROM ID: 0x40a0
/kernel: fxp0: EEPROM checksum @0x3f: 0x17e3 -> 0x17e5
/kernel: fxp0: *** PLEASE REBOOT THE SYSTYM NOW FOR CURRECT OPERATION ***

So, because I rebooted the machine twice the last 2 days anyway, I decided
to reboot the machine. It has to be noted that no configuration and no
kernel changes were made during the upcoming reboot and the reboot I had
this morning.

Fact of the matter is that I am waiting for 20 minutes now for my machine
to come back online and I don't think it will happen.

In any case I would like to know what this kernel message was about and
what exactly changed.