Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:54:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> What I have in mind is rather simple, but it requires the following :
>
> 	1) a file, which is MAINTAINED, which contains all of the possible
> 	options, their classes, and a simple comment for each one.

Woog.  It's that "maintained" bit which is the hard part, and frankly
I'm more than somewhat skeptical of this for the long-term unless it's
taken to the next level of functionality which will properly encourage
its upkeep.

What I'm thinking of here, namely, is the total replacement of config
by a new utility which tries for a different configuration file
format, one "rich" enough to support a GUI interface.  This has always
been a shortcoming of the current one, and the need to keep GENERIC
and LINT files around just to "document" it is rather significant
proof of its shortcomings.  If you're really this ambitious then tou
won't get anywhere by simply trying to paper over config, you need to
replace it.

					Jordan