Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 21:44:02 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC: "cheksum error" reading SEEPROM with Iwill PIILS mb

"Jose M. Alcaide" wrote in message ID
<356D9CF8.1E7667F5@we.lc.ehu.es>:
> When the AHC driver tries to read the 7880's SEEPROM, the operation
> fails with a "cheksum error". I'm afraid that the 7880 chip on my
> PIILS motherboard is different (perhaps another version?): for
> example, I cannot choose the termination type using the Adaptec
> SCSI BIOS ("High ON/Low ON", "High ON/Low Off"...); instead, I can
> only select "Enable" or "Disable". However, the "cheksum error"
> trying to read the 7880's SEEPROM does not prevent the AHC driver
> from working properly. Until now, I can use both the SCSI disk and
> CD-ROM without any problem.

The SEEPROM (Serial EEPROM) is something that Adaptec PCI cards use
to store their configuration on. However, on-board controllers don't
have an SEEPROM as they normally have the settings in the BIOS. Hence,
the SEEPROM checksum fails because there isn't one :)

The AHC driver has sensible enough defaults that it should Just Work (TM)
when an SEEPROM is not found.

Gary