Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:50:32 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Worked in RELENG_5, fails in RELENG_6

On Nov 29, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

> David Kelly wrote:
>
>> Could I
>> boot a 5.4 CDROM to test ACPI?
> Yes you could.  I did this the other day on a machine that doesn't
> even have a disk yet ;-)  acpidump is there.  Select fixit then
> live file system (if memory serves) but you probably knew that !

Problem solved, but I've been working on it too hard not to share the
story which might be useful:

Yes I knew how to launch the fixit disk but it didn't hurt one bit to
remind me. The problem is that FreeBSD is so darn good I've almost
never used the fixit mode in the past 10 years.

Have either been a bad boy and lost my 5.4 disks or a good boy and
gave them to someone. So I hope 5.3 will do. From within 5.3 fixit:

Fixit# acpidump -d
iasl tmp file (read): No such file or directory

acpidump -t appears to work.

Forgot to bring a null modem cable for the serial console. OTOH I now
have Kermit built on MacOS X.

Then I thought to boot my 6.0-RELEASE CD's. Dontchaknow ACPI worked?

Gave it some deep thought, moved my /boot/loader.conf out of the way
and rebooted. ACPI worked. Conclusion: something in my loader.conf is
breaking ACPI.

Many reboots later (reminded me of the last time I installed NT4, but
that took 3 days) of selectively enabling lines in my /boot/
loader.conf I found the one line that broke ACPI, its commented out
below:

geom_vinum_load=YES
if_ath_load=YES
snd_ich_load=YES
hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
kern.maxdsiz="2G"
kern.dfldsiz="2G"
#hw.physmem="2G"
kern.maxssiz="128M"

The reason hw.physmem="2G" was added was that I found FreeBSD running
with only 1G of RAM rather than the full 2G installed and saw
'#hw.physmem="1G"' in /boot/defaults/loader.conf. Added that line and
noticed I had the full 2G once again, congratulated myself on solving
that problem and moved on. Suspect that is when ACPI broke and I was
simply moving too fast to notice that I had to disable ACPI to boot.

Without hw.physmem="2G" its now finding the full memory load so I
don't know what was happening previously.

Sorry to bother you guys. Maybe there is something broken with
hw.physmem with respect to ACPI so this wasn't wasted effort.

Meanwhile between my reboots I was testing P/R bin/89100 which still
yesterday's chops files short as if a 32 bit length was all that was
allowed, but a fresh copy of the same file made with "cp -p" fully
makes it thru the sendfile(2) system call. But won't a couple of
hours later.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net