Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2008 15:34:08 -0400
From:      "Maxim Khitrov" <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Custom Package Server

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com> wrote:
> Maxim Khitrov wrote:
>
> > First question I have is if anyone is aware of software that already
> > does this sort of thing? How well does it work? If not, I plan try to
> > write this on my own.
> >

>  You can maintain 1 host with multiple jail(8)s.  Each will have a custom
> /etc/make.conf.  You can even different architectures for in different
> jails.
>  In my experience, you should have 1 jail for each different software stack
> (aka set of packages).  In large production environments, its very typical
> to have 'classes' of machines. AKA proxy machines, app machines, database
> machines.....  Each set would have a different set of packages.

That's something that I'd like to avoid - having a separate
environment for each unique server configuration. The advantage that
you get in large production environments is not realized for regular
home users like myself, who don't have any two servers that are
similar. In addition to that, this method will take up way too much
disk space.

I can understand having separate package servers for FreeBSD 6 and
FreeBSD 7 clients, but that's where I'd like the limit to be. If I
have to maintain a mirror for every server, then yes, it would allow
me to offload the package-building, but at a much higher overall
maintenance cost. I currently have three FreeBSD 7 machines at home
and I want all of them to share a common build server with at most one
jail if that server is used for other things.

A request for new package should contain in itself all the relevant
settings. If that means sending the make.conf file from the client to
the server - fine. Have the build server adapt for each new request,
build the requested port and dependencies, create the package(s), and
remove the port from the local system. The client can then download
the package, build server goes on to process the next request, and no
disk space is wasted. Am I being a bit overambitious? :)

- Max