Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 18:14:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   /usr/ports/distfiles - did I screw the pooch here?

If you'll pardon my "Right Stuff" slang.. :-)

It's beginning to occur to me that I kind of screwed up with the whole
/usr/ports/distfiles idea.  It shouldn't be a directory, it should be
a PATH!  Each element in the path should be scanned for R/W access
(assuming it even exists) and put into a list so that the following
behavior is exhibited:

If Joe User goes to make a port and the required tarball isn't
anywhere on the path, it's fetched into the first writable directory
found in the path or ${CWD} as a last resort.

This would allow people at schools to set up multi-tiered hierarchies
of master tarballs.  You could have one big school-wide one on a R/O
NFS partition which wouldn't always be guaranteed to be up-to-date and
then a smaller group-wide R/W NFS partition (perhaps R/W by group, so
that only "hackers" in the group could write new ones) to catch the
newer (or local) ones.  The peons at the very bottom still wouldn't be
out of luck, since it would use their own writable directory as a last
resort.

This would also dovetail rather nicely with the CDROM copy of
/usr/ports/distfiles.. :-)

What do you think, Satoshi?  I'm not sure I'm going to have time to
actually do this myself.. :-(

						Jordan