Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:25:44 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        paul@originative.co.uk, marcs@znep.com, dg@root.com, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD/OS compatibility (was: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf ..

In message <19990312152048.A37814@nagual.pp.ru>, "Andrey A. Chernov" writes:
>On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 12:05:07PM -0000, paul@originative.co.uk wrote:
>> I think Frontpage extensions are the thing that could trip us up. There's at
>> least one prominenet UK ISP that offers Frontpage enabled Apache on FreeBSD.
>> This is actually the market that FreeBSD targets.
>>
>> Maybe Microsoft should be contacted to push for a FreeBSD binary.
>
>Absolutely NO. Frontpage Extensions provide several security holes which
>allows to overwrite any web file remotely or execute any program. This
>holes are flaws in this product design and some of them can't be closed.
>
>For remote WWW updating better use WebDAV, Microsoft support it too in
>their WebFolders.

Andrey, We're not in the business of selling a religion, we're in the
business of providing our users with tools and solutions.

Yes, I think pushing Microsoft for a FreeBSD specific FP would be a
good idea.  Tell them it helps prove the existence of competition
and they will lap it up :-)

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!