Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 19:59:18 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Total confusion over toolchain/xdev behavior

On Jul 6, 2014, at 4:07 PM, Sean Bruno <sbruno@ignoranthack.me> wrote:

> Objective:  install an xcompile toolchain into a jail for use by
> poudriere during arm/mips/sparc/power ports pkgs builds.  The build
> should be possible from a non-root user.
>=20
> As far as I can tell, the xdev target is completely busted for =
non-clang
> arch's right now as it tries to build clang no matter what I do.

I think you can avoid that if you specify both:
  WITHOUT_CLANG=3Dt WITHOUT_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=3Dt

>  Its missing some pretty key documentation to making it work =
correctly, so a
> lot of my attempts have been "guess and check" with verbose make.

Some of the complexity here might just be that =91xdev=92 is currently
trying to do too much.  I think I would find it simpler to use if
it were a handful of separate targets:

# Build and install a cross-GCC using the in-tree sources
make XDEV=3Darm XDEV_ARCH=3Darmv6 xdev-gcc

# Build and install a cross-clang using the in-tree sources
make XDEV=3Darm XDEV_ARCH=3Darmv6 xdev-clang

# Build and install cross-binutils using the in-tree sources
make XDEV=3Darm XDEV_ARCH=3Darmv6 xdev-binutils

# Build and install cross-libraries
# Prerequisite: (xdev-gcc or xdev-clang) and xdev-binutils
make XDEV=3Darm XDEV_ARCH=3Darmv6 xdev-libs

# Have I missed anything?

If I understand correctly, xdev-clang in many cases
could install symlinks to the host clang without
actually building anything.  (If I=92m right about that,
maybe we could consider installing those symlinks
for every architecture as part of the default base system.)

Tim