Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:33:38 +1100
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Long-shot: repeatable macOS samba share unmounting during Lightroom import

Hi all,

This is a long-shot question, because it involves a lot of moving
pieces, most of which are opaque commercial, poorly documented
things.  Never the less, it does involve FreeBSD-stable as one of
the players, and my experience over the years has been that FreeBSD
folk are both knowledgeable and helpful, so here's hoping.  Herwith
my tale of computer-induced irritation:

The story takes place at home, where the FreeBSD system in question
is a local network file server.  The FreeBSD tracks -STABLE every
week.  It boots from ZFS on NVM flash and has four 4TB Hitachi ATA
drives in a RAIDZ.  The current motherboard has a Ryzen 7 1700
8-core locked at 3GHz by the bios to avoid a problem of going to
sleep permanently by failing to come out of some sort of low-power
state.  It has 32G RAM.  It has intel "PRO/1000 PCI-Express Network
Driver" network connected to a simple gigabit switch, with both
IPv4 and IPv6 configured and working.

The other protagonist in this tale, also connected to the gigabit
LAN, is an iMac running current-Catalina on APFS flash, mounting
three filesystems over SMB, from Samba 4.10.10.  After appropriate
Samba tweaking this seems to be at least as reliable as it ever was
with netatalk or NFS, and apparently better supported by Apple.

I keep my Lightroom Classic catalogue on the mac's local (flash)
drive, but the photo storage is on the network.  The Import Backups
directory is also on (a different) network drive.  I use Lightroom's
Import function to copy photos off SD cards using the mac's built-in
SD card reader and register with the catalogue.  So far so normal,
I think.

The problem arose about ?three or four? months ago: could be
coincident with OS or Lightroom upgrades, I can't remember, but I
haven't changed anything about the setup, configuration or workflow.
Now, every single time Lightroom does an import, while it's doing
the first scan of the SD card to identify photos that it's seen
before, all three of the Samba filesystems unmount from the mac,
silently.  I can find no record of error in any of the logs,
suggesting that the system thinks that it happened deliberately.
Needless to say, this throws out the import workflow, although it
manages to pick itself up OK if I just re-mount everything.

Anyone have any similar experiences?  Any thoughts of where I could
poke it to find out why this might be happening?  It feels like a
time-out bug somewhere, but (a) there is no complaint, and (b) the
network traffic is light at the time.  Needless to say Apple
documentation is useless.

Probably another good reason to find an alternative to Lightroom...

Cheers,

Andrew Reilly
M: 0409-824-272
areilly@bigpond.net.au