Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 10:21:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>
Cc:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

> for the FreeBSD distribution? Can I not compile and install software of MY
> choice? As indicated, I've run into problems using ports structure and
> independantly of the ports structure.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but the answer is, of
course, "sure you can."

> went to install autoconf this way, it couldn't find m4. Recall in a previous
> email (please forward that 1 also if you still have it) indicating our
> secure env which won't allow outbound active ftp sessions.... Kinda blows
> your 'autofind/fetch' out the window.....

No it doesn't - please read the man page for fetch.  Setting
FTP_PASSIVE_MODE (or FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS=-P) will use passive mode.

> Why are things apparently so restrictive??? I've had engineers productive
> FASTER on Solaris x86 than what I've experienced here. How can we help make
> this easier?

It would help if you could clarify just what you found so restrictive.
I don't see any real details here.

						Jordan