Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:40:43 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>, Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Security and FreeBSD, my overall perspective

> Okay, quick show of hands. How many people blindly trusted pine before
> this week? How many people would pick up a copy of fsdb(8) and/or
> ipfw(8) and feel blindly confident they know how to use it properly
> without screwing themselves up?

Well, just to set the record straight, I've never even used pine.  I
use mh-e. :) I was talking more about our desired policy for dealing
with these situations in the present and future, something for which
pine is merely an example.

> >        (b) Add a new field to the ports infrastructure which indicates
> > 	   level of "trust" the project/security people have in that
> > 	   port.  E.g. instead of having one big knob rather off-puttingly
> > 	   labelled 'FORBIDDEN', have a 'TRUST' or 'SECURITY_LEVEL' variable
> > 	   which goes from 1 to 10.  Then the ports infrastructure can, if
> > 	   it wishes to, issue warnings of varying severity based on the
> > 	   trust level.
>
> I've thought about this, but it needs someone to implement it, so we
> have to work with existing tools in the meantime.

I could do this in a couple of hours, including testing.  You want the
patches to bsd.port.mk in unidiff or context diff format? ;-)

> Waitasec, what do you mean "start"? FreeBSD is basically the only
> operating system project which *is* auditing this kind of code

I was reacting to green's assertion that nobody, in fact, had the time
or inclination to do anything of the sort.  If he's maligned your
efforts by making such claims then I guess we both owe you an apology
for understimating the amount of work which has actually been going
into auditing.

- Jordan