Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:57:51 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "siefke_listen@web.de" <siefke_listen@web.de>
Subject:   Re: Brother Printer

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:40:21 +1000 Da Rock wrote:
> Are you sure its just a script? Any clue as to what shell it is using?=20=

> Bash? I do believe there should be some binaries there somewhere as =
well.

Yes im sure. I have a ppd File, they linked
to /usr/local/libexec/brlpdwrapperMFC730 and thats a shell scipt.=20

I just went to the Brother site and downloaded a cups driver from here. =
It is not exactly
the same as yours, it is for the MFC7320 but for sure there is a shell =
script plus a binary.
called brcupsconfig3, which is called in the shell script called =
cupswrapperMFC7320-2.0.2.

The binary is=20
niobe% file brcupsconfig3=20
brcupsconfig3: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), =
dynamically linked (uses shared libs),=20
for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

So at best you can hope to run it with Linux emulation. Personally i =
have an Epson dot printer
and it is the same, the Linux driver contains binary blobs and cannot be =
run under FreeBSD.

If you want to  avoid such problems the only solution is to buy a =
printer with postscript
or pdf support and direct network connection, that is an expensive one. =
Here at the lab we are very happy
with Xerox sublimation models (i think it is an evolution of the old =
Tektronix phaser)
for doing color prints. In particular the use costs are low, much lower =
than with color laser printers,
in par with black and white laser printers.
But if you want to produce nice photographic prints, unfortunately you =
have to rely on good
epson dot printers or similar, which means FreeBSD is excluded, =
unfortunately.

--

Michel Talon
talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr