Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 07:57:05 -0400
From:      Dominic Blais <dblais@interplex.ca>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Default route "random" gateway modification bug

--_004_2DE61B0869B7484997BCA012845482C7EBE8E2819FWIN2008Domnta_

Hi (sorry, I clicked send too fast ;) ),

I had to change the server of my customer who have this bug because we want=
ed to put 2 redundant servers with carp...  I removed the old server and re=
placed it with 2 brand new ones. <delete>The old one was an HP ML115 and th=
e new ones are Lenovo TS120</delete>. The new servers are the same model (H=
P ML115).

I used the same software:

               - FreeBSD 9.0
               - MPD 5.6
               - IPFW (pipes only + single pass all rule)
               - PF ruleset for filter and NAT.

And only added:
               kldload if_carp.ko

The problem just happened this last night with that configuration so I may =
say it should be replicable if someone did use the same FreeBSD version wit=
h ipfw for pipes and pf for rules/nat. We still don't know what is exactly =
messing up with the default gateway but we know that it is something with t=
he mix of FreeBSD 9, IPFW for pipes and PF for NAT. You must add some traff=
ic to it to make it happen since it looks like it's using an IP of a host t=
he users communicated with to replace the gateway. I often see, but not onl=
y, Microsoft owned IP as my default gateway when it happens.

--
[cid:image001.gif@01CDA6BC.D6EB26D0]

--_004_2DE61B0869B7484997BCA012845482C7EBE8E2819FWIN2008Domnta_--