Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2019 09:04:05 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Martin_Waschb=C3=BCsch?= <martin@waschbuesch.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP version retirement
References:  <CF1F28D6-1072-4BE6-B124-A97DE43FA4E6@waschbuesch.de> <64faf143-bae3-378c-3ee2-b196c2ea4111@astart.com> <16731AF5-68E9-4E41-8D21-CF5917BE32A4@waschbuesch.de> <20190810231216.GA23293@lyxys.ka.sub.org> <CD11C7D8-DC57-4402-848C-06BBAD220D8B@waschbuesch.de> <D7D5D66C-AD53-4F2E-95E5-F0131DBC82AA@lastsummer.de> <CAP7rwcjR8SYmeJJe9KrmZRJj7qQpnjQ6N8kaqrdpDSDB4cFH6g@mail.gmail.com> <C6261FE6-1FAD-44D1-BD06-B33A0CEAAC85@waschbuesch.de> <CAP7rwcg%2B2GeMLz1a%2B-abcjNcA_-mE3B%2Bh5ovC5iU03EKiHbAZg@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Adam,

<franco@lastsummer.de> wrote:
> [...]
axe a deprecated release. 3 months are nothing in production =
environments, if you get 3 months (1,5 months mean) at all and also all =
other updates and security relevant bug fixes in the same quarterly that =
you desperately need.
it wreaks havoc over the ports infrastructure like in the case of PHP =
version support where numerous ports are immediately unavailable and =
incompatible with upgrades.
abandoned version is silly because it=E2=80=99s more work to delete a =
port that to just keep it in the tree for a while longer.
>>>=20
>>> That last part isn't correct. The work of deleting the ports is
>>> largely automated and simple, and it will always happen eventually.
>>> The work involved is in supporting unsupported versions. Our php =
team
>>> is spread very thin, and they simply cannot support php versions
>>> outside of upstream development. There are no resources to backport
>>> fixes that may or may not be designed to work with older versions
>>=20
>> I do not understand this. At all.
>> And I sort of hope I misunderstood you, because it sounds like you =
think a maintainer is or may be regarded as someone who can be expected =
to provide product support of some kind?
>> I find that notion worrying to say the least.
>=20
> If you believe that handling updates, analyzing submitted and upstream
> patches and development, and answering a bevy of questions for every
> major update is effortless, then you drastically underestimate the
> amount of work that goes into the ports tree.

You completely misunderstand me.
I know there is a lot of effort going into this. I disagree only in that =
I do not believe there should be any expectations towards maintainers.
It is voluntary work. Spare time, etc. I am grateful for the effort =
people put into this, but I strongly believe no one should act towards =
volunteers with any expectations as to what they should do, how much =
time they spend, etc.

So, I find it wrong to say, as I understood you, to remove a package =
from the ports tree because otherwise others people, for instance users =
of FreeBSD, would have the *expectation* of receiving support for those =
packages.
That perception of any kind of entitlement towards volunteers is wrong, =
IMHO.

And that is why I answered that part of your message because it is not =
(for reasons stated above) a valid argument against having outdated =
software in the ports tree.=