Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 2020 02:48:47 +0000
From:      Daniel Stevenson <daniel@dstev.xyz>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Complete idiots guide to virtualize Android with bhyve

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 9:12 PM, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.c=
om> wrote:

> Dear kind FreeBSD users,
>
> I have seen some sites where it is mentioned that we can run Android with
> bhve on FreeBSD.
>
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?utm_source=3Ddiscoverbsd&v=3Dzq2rYQ84DiQ
>
> But I cannot follow which commands to use or where to get Android sources=
.

> Is there a complete idiots guide somewhere so I can follow step by step. =
> have experience with virtualbox and VMware but on Linux. I would like to
> use bhyve and FreeBSD because I have updated a school machine to
> 12.1-RELEASE-p4? to p7 because of covid(17+2) school closure in March and=
> have to set it up for instruction(online). I may need zoom and I have a
> ziggi USB document camera already set up. There are several programs whic=
> are available for Android but not native FreeBSD.
>
> https://www.freebsdnews.com/2020/07/29/video-android-in-freebsd-bhyve-by-=
oleg/

> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host-bhyve.html
>
> https://jjasghar.github.io/blog/2019/06/03/using-bhyve-on-freebsd/
>
> I have read these guides and have entered some of the commands but some
> fail to work and give errors.
>
> Any examples and Android sources where bhvye succeeds are appreciated.
> Instruction to students may be hybrid part in school and part online mayb=
> entirely online. This will help setup some videos since many students hav=
> smart phones and most run Android they can setup Google Play or Fdroid an=
> get them to help instruction calculators, math programs and or Google
> sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides.
>
> Thank you for any advice and help provided in advance.

Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. are all available as web apps, and
using those would be much easier and likely much more comfortable than
trying to emulate Android apps on a laptop or desktop.

Zoom can likewise be used as a web app.  You could also attempt using
Zoom's CentOS package under FreeBSD's Linux compatability layer, but it
would be hit-or-miss.  Sticking to the browser is likely your best bet.

Are there any other programs you were worried about?  Also, if you don't
mind my asking, do you have much prior experience with FreeBSD on the
desktop?  It is a great operating system, but not especially easy to use
if you are unfamiliar with Unix.  If you are new, you may be better off
with a desktop-focused derivative of FreeBSD, such as GhostBSD or
FuryBSD, or a beginner-friendly Linux distro like Ubuntu or Pop!_OS.

--
Daniel Stevenson

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?2FpLnblcS8dY17rDqJi-ACKQ4qXa5A6M7LZjQ2xv79zjqXLj9-jCTMZes_SU1glRZmJ8BtpIp5IJDT0dBNBq5fWf_6vBDexQ_UqivFWS7Hk=>