Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2022 23:31:02 +0000
From:      Simon Connah <simon.n.connah@protonmail.com>
To:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Developing on local FreeBSD AArch64 and deploying to FreeBSD x86_64?

--------bdd0cd072f49abaa859f550fb010c3272f39969b490cfccb902c098ff2303209

-----------------------3228f164183e75897c14f2b3b04c3c83

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, November 15th, 2022 at 21:55, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks=
.at> wrote:

> =

> On Tue, 15 Nov 2022, at 19:02, Simon Connah wrote:
> =

> > Hi,
> > =

> > I have a Mac running the latest version of macOS and installed the UTM
> > virtualisation software. I have FreeBSD 13.1 AArch64 working perfectly=
,
> > but I'm concerned about possible problems when developing on ARM and
> > deploying to Intel. Can I be sure there are no user-facing differences
> > between the two architectures?
> =

> =

> Hi Simon
> =

> Without knowing specifically what you=E2=80=99re using and how you=E2=80=
=99re deploying, I mix and misuse aarch64 and amd64 daily.
> =

> In general ports and packages on both work just the same, with the cavea=
t that any native code extensions to your languages (node, php, elixir) wi=
ll require building on the correct architecture.
> =

> This being FreeBSD, that is not entirely true as there are tools like po=
udriere and other cross-compilers and emulators like army to do that.
> =

> So long as your package versions are in sync stuff should just work.
> =

> of course you can now deploy to arm64 servers too, I think all major clo=
ud providers support this.
> =

> A+
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

At the moment I'm only really looking at using Nodejs, PostgreSQL, nginx, =
git and vim so I doubt any of that will be affected by different CPU archi=
tectures. Having said that I am heavily interested in FreeBSD as a whole a=
nd I'd like to do some lower level work but I was going to try and wait be=
fore getting a cheap x86_64 laptop.

Simon.

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?2I0qWEPSaLqgwRvbRRTDsg79uwwNdfpWuO1CHcApiFzS9-8vNW1kSIs3ItCER5vPRyQrxT3dMEVrlRkd6tEcn4CcL7fnYJxIo-0CmD_RmZk=>