Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:27:22
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto problems and boot-time error messages

At 16:19 20/09/97 +0100, Brian Somers wrote:

>> > You want to read the handbook :-)
>>
>> We need to revise the handbook :-)
>
>That's a bit of a gratuitous statement.  What exactly is wrong with
>it ?  It's been revised several times recently.

Well, frankly, your original comment was a vaguely insulting statement,
smiley notwithstanding.

If you recall the text of my original message, you will see that I stated
that I had been running ppp -auto *successfully*, until I managed to break
it somehow.  This implies that I actually *have* read the handbook, but had
found something that I couldn't solve.  ISTR that the handbook has no
mention of the default router entry in sysconfig.  I added an entry for it
because otherwise I would get 'no route to host' errors, which I couldn't
seem to fix by any changes made in ppp.[conf|linkup].  ISTR that I chose
this solution due to the results of searches of the archives.

The handbook has a number of holes.  I have generally filled the gaps in
the past by looking in the questions archives, or even the odd Linux Howto
(not useful in this case, unfortunately).  I posted two questions as a last
resort, and as a 'customer', I'm unimpressed that I get an answer that
blithely assumes that I haven't even bothered to RTFM.

I have subsrcibed to freebsd-questions before, so I'm very aware of the
utter lack of both effort and cluelessness displayed by some questioners,
not to mention the volume of problems you are asked to (voluntarily) deal
with.  But FreeBSD has a *lot* less 'popular' support in the form of sheer
numbers of textbooks, web pages and personal contact, so the questions list
is a valuable resource.  I'm glad to say that I've had a friendly, helpful
reply to every question I've posted to it.  It's a bit of a shame about the
others, really.

My first question, the 'odd message', I have 'solved' by removing a line in
ppp.conf, as I said previously.  My second question remains a mystery to
me.  I include some more details in another message, and would be *very*
grateful for any assistance.

Dave