Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 02:28:48 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stuck! 2.2 Gamma won't go.

>Novice should have asked you
>about your mouse type *before* this for exactly that reason.
>Did you skip over that dialog?

Ok, I did it again.  I'm certain that I answered all the
questions correctly.  I does ask me for the type of mouse
I have.  After answering the question correctly, "PS/2
mouse", it puts me in the graphical setup program.

I read the opening graphics screen more carefully and it
says I shouldn't touch the mouse until after selecting
the mouse protocol.

If I follow those directions, :-), it indeed works ok.

But, when I instinctively reached for the mouse and
moved it, it totally hosed me down.  I consider this
broken.  After all, hadn't I just finished telling it
what kind of mouse I have?  Not only that, but it puts
a shiny new mouse pointer right in the middle of a
screen surrounded by mouse driven user interface
controls saying, "Move me!  Click me!"

Regardless, even if the mouse protocol is wrong, there
doesn't seem to be any good reason for the keyboard to
go ugly on me.  On the screen-o-death, "/dev/psm0" is
shown as the one selected in the mouse device selection
box, this was probably selected as a result of the
text-mode dialog before the X server launched.  But the
mouse protocol button that is "pushed down" is the one
labelled "Microsoft" instead of the one labelled "PS/2."
Shouldn't the text-mode dialog a few screens back have
set the default mouse protocol to match the mouse type
I selected from it's menu?

So, if this happens, what should I do?  Do I need to
re-install, or can I finish the install some other way?
-
Tony