Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:20:00 +1000
From:      Adrian Carter <adrian@apic.net>
To:        Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>, tony@warp.co.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD 586 CPU

At 23:44 8/04/97 -0500, Dave Hummel wrote:
>Anthony,
>I run the AMD 5x86 133, compiled as a 486, and it has performed flawlessly
>under 2.1.6 for about six months. It's on a very light load machine, but
on the
>other hand I have it overclocked, so I guess I'm pushing it's capabilities in
>some respect. Seems to be rock solid.
>Dave

We run 2 AMD 5x86/133's, one performing as a pretty heavy Mail hub (does
just over 250M inbound and 115M outbound every 48hrs) which, if you saw my
other message is doing very weird things at the moment. However, previous
to that, it performed flawlessly. It is compiled as both CPU options I486
and I586, being a production machine, I am reluctant to see if it works as
I586 alone. The other one was formally a backup host, and again, apart from
a power supply problem, has performed flawlessly. Its now been 'retired'
and becoming my psuedo workstation (somehow though, I feel it will do more
work now than it did as a server =)), so I will can playing with the kernel
without fear! =)

They boot damn quick too! faster than my P133 with 128M RAM that runs as
one of the web servers.

Adrian

*           Phone: (+612) 9419-5133   Fax: (+612) 9419-5155			*