Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 16:47:08 -0800
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

At 04:23 PM 12/24/98 -0800, rick hamell wrote:

>> Lately, I have basically evaluating the X Windows system, and I just can't
>> figure out why it hasn't been made any easier for average users.  I can't
>> figure out why antialiased fonts (such as true type fonts) haven't been
>> made the standard.  I can't figure out why there hasn't been a solution to
>> the problem of not having a standardized Interface (or a few standardized
>> interfaces to choose from when developing applications or whatever - choice
>> isn't a bad thing).  I can't figure out why the standard X libraries and
>> widget set hasn't been given the 90's look and feel (ala qt libraries).
>
>	There is a possiblity of another Windowing system. BUT, something
>you're over looking is that there are several more Window Managers then
>you've tried. FVMN, Enlightenment, Afterstep. One of them may do what you
>want. Supposedly Enlightenment is pretty configurable.
>
>				Rick

I was taking a look at the QNX system and they have their own "microGUI" as
they called it.  I downloaded and installed their demo (which fits and runs
off a disk) that showed off their gui, webserver, file manager, and web
browser.  Pretty neat and fast.  I wonder if it can be ported to other
systems other than QNX.

As far as the window managers go, as I said I've played with .fwmrc's and
.steprc's so basically I've ran both (FVWM 1.34 and FVWM 2.0.46).  I've
also tried AfterStep 1.4 and I think I took a look at AfterStep 1.5 as
well.  I don't like where afterstep is going (heck actually I'm not even
sure what direction they're leading to).  I haven't tried Enlightenment.
It looks pretty trippy though.  Like a window manager on drugs. heh heh :)

I do like the NextStep look, and would love a NextStep like *enviroment* --
something like KDE but with the NextStep look and feel.  Something with a
small footprint, but with plenty of helper apps to get the job done.  OH!
And I love the dock apps but I've noticed that alot of them are written
with only Linux in mind which bums me out.  I wish more of those dock apps
were ported over to BSD form (including the network monitor apps and stuff
like that).

Sad thing is that I've never seen a real NextStep machine, although I'd
love to check one out.  Are they still produced?  I've read some old books
on NextStep and I read that the Mach kernel was written to be BSD4.3
compatible.  Well shit, if they want to be like BSD why not have Steve Jobs
take his new G3 Macintosh and build a new and improved NextStep on that
using a real BSD kernel. :)  That is of course if they don't make NextStep
stuff anymore.

Ah well, I'm gonna go mope around some more.  Christmas...Bah...Humbug!

Joey -- The Grinch